Boy can BIG tech companies dance. And Damn Well.
I just went to do something completely dumb on an Windows 7 laptop , I wanted live weather and stock quotes to stream to my desktop via Windows 7 Gadgets. This seemed a simple enough task, I’ve been getting used to having those stream to Google’s Chrome, Firefox, and God yes even the dreaded iDomination devices.
In much the same way Google pulled the plug on RSS this week, Microsoft pulled the plug — wait, not on an accepted standard like RSS, but one of it’s own creations. I think that’s even worse. Mom’s and Dad’s and kids and Grandparents all over the country get all happy and comfortable using their nifty little gadgets only to have a five ton elephant come in and squash them like ants.
Change in plan folks, now you’re going to use “Apps” (’cause that’s what Apple and Google call them), they’re going to look different, operate differently and end up being more bling than anything else.
here’s the quote directly from the Microsoft site:
Because we want to focus on the exciting possibilities of the newest version of
Windows, the Windows website no longer hosts the gadget gallery.
Gadgets installed from untrusted sources can harm your computer and can access
your computer’s files, show you objectionable content, or change their behavior
at any time. If you are concerned about the safety of gadgets you’ve downloaded
in the past, you can learn more about gadgets and steps you can take to protect
Some info for developers:
apps for Windows 8. To get started developing modern apps, go to
Windows Dev Center.
And just a note, no, I”m not an ANTI MSFT zealot or anti anything else for that matter, I am completely technology agnostic, if it works and is best of breed, then I’m using it and using it with and for clients as well. Period.
Christopher J. Hradil – Summary
- Seasoned entrepreneur and technology leader, broadly experienced in large scale, world class information technology and telecommunications development, operations, management and planning.
- Equally experienced in technology focused business development and planning.
- Deep level of expertise in all aspects of online/interactive marketing and advertising including search engine marketing and optimization, social media strategy and execution.
- Managed, evaluated and executed deployment of emerging technologies spanning over 20 years.
- Consistently met or exceeded goals to drive business forward, utilizing a high level of creativity, ability to think outside of the box and context shift rapidly and often.
- Held Full P&L accountability at all executive level positions, successfully managed budgets minimizing costs, turning IT into a profit center..
- Current, Computer Insight, Systems & Infrastructure Design and Management, Cloud Computing
- CTO & VP of Business Development, Manning Interactive Marketing, 2007-2009
- Independent Consultant/CEO Montclair Consulting, 2002-2007
- Chief Technology Officer, IndigoB2B Inc. 2000-2003
- Principal Consultant, Acuitive Inc. 1999-2002
- Senior Technology Architect, Director Network Management, Toys ‘R Us 1998-1999
- Director, Internet Services/Architecture, Advanced Web Creations Inc. 1996-1998
- Director, Infrastructure, Provisioning & Billing, 9NetAvenue Inc. 1994-1996
- Independent Consultant/CEO in2Action 1993-1995
- Lead Technology Administrator/Sr. Architect, Extended Benefits, Inc., 1990-1993
Christopher has a deep level of experience and expertise with WordPress and SEO/SEM. He has been an active contributing member of wordpress.org since 2006 and using the software since 2004. His contributions range from supplying code to core, plugin and theme development, providing user support and writing documentation. He has been an active member of several open source communities including Apache, trac, TYPO3, WordPress and others since 1995. He has been optimizing website content with top 5 ranking results for various search engines since 1994. His experience in these areas have included instructing courses, leading seminars, educating companies and individuals on the subjects of SEO/SEM, WordPress and trac, as well as writing a number of whitepapers.
UNIX; (FreeBSD/BSD; Fedora/RedHat; LINUX: Solaris; HP-UX; ); MS Windows Server/Workstation Versions : 3.1/4.0/5.0/2000/XP/7/8;
Active State Komodo; Zend
Studio; Adobe Master Suite CS5, CS5.5; TopStyle Studio CSS3; ColorSchemer
Studio; FrontPage 98/2000/XP; MS Office through version 2010
MySQL; SQL Server 6.5/7.0/2000-5;
- Proficient: Oracle 7/8i; Oracle ERP; InterDev 4.0/Visual Studio .NET; Microsoft Expression Sudio
- Familiar: WebMethods; BizTalk; ADSI/LDAP;
Expert: PERL; XHTML; CSS/CSS3; SEO/SEM/PPC/PPA; HTML 3.2/4.0/HTML5; CGI;
XML; RSS; W3C Standards Compliance; PHP; Sec. 508 Compliance
Familiar:: C/C++/C#; ATL/COM/DCOM; MFC
Expert: Apache/http; DNS/BIND;Active Directory, Cloud Computing, MSFT Private/Public Cloud; System Center
2012; BGP4; OSPF; EIGRP; Sendmail/SMTP;
TCP/IP; Cisco IOS; IIS 5.0/4.0/3.0; L2-7 Switching
Proficient: VMWare, Citrix; ATM; Frame Relay; SNMP/SNMP API; RMON; 803.x wireless,
Familiar: SONNET; VoIP; PBX
Avon-by-the-Sea, NJ 07717